Hamburger Pie Recipe
Hamburger pie is a classic, vintage comfort food that’s been around for decades. This is a savory and hearty dish that’s easy to make and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
The basic recipe consists of a layer of ground beef mixed with vegetables, topped with a layer of mashed potatoes, and then baked in the oven until golden brown and crispy.
One of the great things about hamburger pie is how versatile it is. You can customize it to your liking by adding different vegetables, spices, or toppings. Some popular additions include peas, corn, carrots, and onions. For a little extra flavor, you can also add herbs like thyme or rosemary.
There are so many different ways to make this – as you can really use a mix of available ingredients that you have on hand.
No mashed potatoes onhand? Top it with tater tots!
Another reason hamburger pie is so popular is that it’s a great way to use up leftovers. If you have leftover mashed potatoes, cooked vegetables, or even ground beef, you can easily turn them into a delicious pie that the whole family will enjoy.
You really can’t go wrong using any combination of your favorite ingredients.
To make hamburger pie, start by browning ground beef in a skillet. Add chopped vegetables and cook until tender. Spread the mixture in a pie dish and top with mashed potatoes. Bake in the oven until the top is golden brown and crispy.
I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Kitchen Items for this Recipe
Enjoy and happy cooking!
How to Make Hamburger Pie Recipe
Overall, hamburger pie is a delicious and comforting meal that’s perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re feeding a hungry family or looking for a quick and easy dinner idea, hamburger pie is sure to please.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1 lb can carrots, or corn, or cut green beans, drained
- 1 10.75 oz can condensed tomato soup
- 5 medium potatoes, cooked
- ½ Cup warm milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 Cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In large skillet, brown ground beef. Remove and drain fat. Wipe down skillet.
- Add chopped onion to skillet, cook until translucent. Add ground beef
- Add salt and pepper
- Mix in green beans, and soup
- Pour into a prepared 1.5 quart casserole dish
- Boil and then mash potatoes
- Add milk and egg and a dash of pepper and salt to potatoes. Mash and stir.
- Drop in heaps over ground beef mixture
- Sprinkle top with shredded Cheddar cheese
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes
I'm sorry that you didn't like this recipe. 🙁
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?