Apple Pie Filling Recipe
Today, I’m sharing a mouth-watering apple pie filling recipe that’s not only delicious for an instant dessert fix but also perfect for preserving those autumn flavors.
You’ll need crisp, tart apples like Granny Smiths, a sprinkle of cinnamon, a touch of nutmeg, a hint of lemon zest, and a touch of sweetness to tie it all together. Simmer it to perfection, and you’ve got a versatile filling ready to grace pies, tarts, and even turnovers.
Plus, this recipe is a champ for canning or freezing, ensuring you can enjoy that warm apple goodness year-round.
So, whether you’re diving in right away or stocking up for later, this recipe’s the perfect choice!
Apple Pie Filling for Canning
This is the perfect pie apple pie filling recipe for canning or freezing. Use a quart jar for canning or a gallon-sized freezer bag for freezing. You’ll put the same amount in either container. The freezer bag can be laid and pressed flat for easier and more efficient storage.
I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Kitchen Items for this Recipe
Enjoy and Happy baking, or canning! 🍏🥧✨
Apple Pie Filling
- 24 cups apples - washed peeled, cored and sliced
- 10 Cups water
- 2 1/4 Cups dark brown sugar
- 2 1/4 Cups granulated white sugar
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cinnamon - ground
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg - ground
- In large bowl mix apples, and lemon juce. Set to the side.
- Over a medium heat, mix cornstarch, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium-sized pot
- Stir in water and bring to a boil. Continue to stir and mix in apples. Bring back to a boil
- Reduce heat. Place lid on pot and simmer
- When apples are tender, remove from heat and allow to cool if freezing
- Dip into prepared canning jars and can per your preferred method
- For freezing: dip into gallon-sized freezer bags. Seal completely and lay flat on small baking sheet. Freeze in this position for easy storage.
I'm sorry that you didn't like this recipe. 🙁
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?