I am so excited to start my Cooking with Friends series! I was able to spend the last few years getting to know my new neighbor, Phyllis. In her early 90’s, she was the life of our neighborhood.
This spring, she left this world – and I was allowed to hold onto some of her recipe cards and a cookbook, Cooking with Friends. This book is a compilation put together by, it seems, a group of women attending the same church some 40+ years ago.
I’ve enjoyed flipping through the pages and seeing markings and stars beside recipes that Phyllis must have enjoyed.
Today, I begin sharing these trusted recipes and hope that you’ll be able to enjoy them as well. Follow the Cooking with Friends series here.
Sunday Hot Bread
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Sift together the flour, and baking powder
- Mix in sugar, and salt
- add and mix butter, vanilla, and milk
- Spread in an 8" round cake pan.
- Mix together cinnamon and sugar until thoroughly combined
- Sprinkle liberally with granulated cinnamon and sugar
- Bake approximately 30 minutes or until done