So, this recipe out of the Home Cooking vintage recipe book calls for a 9×12 pan. I’ll admit – I just assume that my pans are 9×13. This had me running a quick Google and Amazon search to see how common the 9×12 size is. And, wow, I feel like I should look at the sticker when I purchase a pan. Some of mine may be 9×12 and some may be 9×13. They fit together so nicely – I’ve never thought about a difference in size. But now I will. Every. Time. 😂
All of that to say this – the recipe calls for a 9×12 pan. If you make it in a 9×13, then I assume the bar cookies will be flatter than if you used the smaller pan size. Use what you will – they’ll still be delicious.
Something to keep in mind when you pick up a vintage recipe book that was put together by a community group or church. The recipe may not be *well-written*. Be sure to read it several times to make sure you’re understanding the intent of the person who provided the recipe. I’ve included a picture of this recipe from the book at the bottom of this post as an example of one that wasn’t written in a format that we typically expect in today’s era.
Blondie Bar Cookies
- 1 9 x 12 baking dish
- 1 ½ Cup Cake Flour*
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ Cup softened butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 egg yolk only
- 1 egg white only
- 1 Cup Pecans or walnuts, whole or chopped
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Prepare 9x12 baking dish
- Sift and mix all dry ingredients (not including nuts)
- Mix together the, butter, white sugar, vanilla, 1 egg, and 1 egg yolk until light
- Combine dry and wet and ingredients thoroughly
- Spread mixture into 9x12 baking dish
- Beat 1 egg white. Slowly add in 1 cup brown sugar. Spread over top
- Sprinkle nuts over top
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes, being careful to not overbake.
- For each cup of cake flour that you need: Take one cup of all-purpose flour, and then remove 2 tablespoons. Now, add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Sift the two ingredients together and use in recipe as written.
I'm sorry that you didn't like this recipe. 🙁
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?