Cheesy garlic bread is a classic side dish that is easy to make and always a crowd-pleaser. It’s perfect for serving with pasta, soup, or salad, and can even be enjoyed as a snack on its own.
The best part? It only takes a few simple ingredients to make, and can be customized to suit your taste preferences.
This is a staple in the Noth household. I make it once a week – on Friday night.
Or, as my son would say – FriYAY night! Most Friday nights we make homemade pizza and cheesy bread and have that as our dinner while we watch a movie.
This is something we’ve done since the kids were very little. You would think that my son is pizza-ed out. But he has long been our resident college boy, and loves his pizza. Every single week.
It may look like there are a lot of steps, but I’ve just tried to explain some of the things I do – and some of your options. Give them a read before you plan our your cheesy bread. It’s much more simple than it may seem.
I hope you try it and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Kitchen Items for this Recipe
Enjoy and happy baking! 💋
How to Make Cheesy Garlic Bread
Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 1 Cup warm water
- 3 tsp active yeast
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp shortening, lard, or butter (softened)
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 3 tsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp ground garlic
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Cup mozzarella cheese, thinly shredded
- 1 Cup parmesan cheese, thinly shredded
- In large glass measuring cup, measure 1 cup warm water (between 105°F and 115°F), proof yeast with 3 Tbsp granulated sugar and 2 Tbsp shortening
- Place in a warm area to continue proofing
- In large bowl of a stand mixer, use dough hook to combine flour, 1 tsp salt, and egg
- Add yeast mixture once yeast has proofed (about 5 minutes)
- Turn stand mixture on and allow dough mixture to come together and then continue kneading until dough is soft and very plyable. Dough should reach a point of not being tough. (Think an extremely soft play doh)
- I usually allow the stand mixer to knead the bread for approximately 10 minutes
- Depending on the time of year, I may need to add more flour, ¼ Cup at a time. Do not add unless necessary
- Once dough is finished kneading, remove bowl from stand mixer.
- Pull dough out and form into a ball, using your hands
- Add oil to the bowl, making sure it coats the entire bowl
- Roll dough over oil until oil has covered all of the dough
- Place dough in bowl, cover with a lint-free cloth and place in a warm area
- I place in a warm microwave (not a microwave that is running), or a warm oven (not an oven that is on)
- Allow dough to rise approximately 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500°F
- Grease a pizza pan (If using a cast iron pan, place in oven to begin preheating)
- Melt 3 tsp butter in small sauce pan
- Roll out dough
- Place dough on pizza pan (if placing on cast iron pan, you'll need to move quickly)
- Dock pizza dough
- Spread melted butter over dough
- Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese oer buttered dough
- In small bowl, mix together 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp dried parsley, 1 tsp ground garlic
- Sprinkle mixture over cheesy bread
- Bake cheesy bread for 5 - 6 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
I'm sorry that you didn't like this recipe. 🙁
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?