This Bacon Biscuit Balls recipe is preserved from and listed in Recipes From the Old South. I have slightly changed the recipe as, in my experience, it works better if the bacon is chopped prior to fryin.
I would have purchased this vintage recipe book regardless – but opening it up to this very first treat solidified my decision. I’m not sure you can get much better than bacon.
Don’t forget to use a bacon press for more evenly cooked bacon.
Bacon Biscuit Balls
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 4 tbsp green pepper, chopped
- 3 tbsp mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Cut bacon strips into small pieces
- Fry bacon until just cooked, save drippings
- Mix cooked bacon with mushrooms and green pepper
- Sift together the flour, dry mustard, and baking powder
- Combine the bacon, mushroom, and peppers mix with the dry ingredients
- Add milk, egg, and bacon drippings
- Mix thoroughly
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet
- Bake approximately 8 minutes
- Serve alone or with sauce or dip of choice
I'm sorry that you didn't like this recipe. 🙁
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?