Since yesterday’s Broccoli Casserole recipe called for canned onions – where I suggested a substitute of frozen pearl onions if you couldn’t find the canned – I though this would be the perfect recipe for today!
This is a fun, gorgeous, and yummy way to serve smaller onions.
Have you tried Sweet and Sour Onions before? How do you make them? Let me know in the comments below!
Enjoy and Happy Cooking! ?
Sweet and Sour Pearl Onions
- 1 ½ lbs boiling or pearl onions
- 3 Tbsp butter (you can substitute for any fat you'd like)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp cider (malt or white wine vinegar)
- salt (to taste)
- Peel onions. (If using pearl onions, blanch and then place in ice water. Then cut off the stem and root. Now peel.)
- Place onions in a pot of salted water that has been brought to a boil. Boil the onions 5 - 10 minutes until they are just tender (al dente, not soft). Time will be determined by size of the onion.
- Drain onions
- In a hot skillet, melt butter and allow butter to get hot. Place onions in skillet and allow to fry until they begin brwoning. Approximately 4 o 5 minutes.
- Turn skillet down to a medium heat. Combine the cider and honey until they are well mixed. Add to skillet. Mix well with the onion. Add salt.
- Stir and allow to cook until it has made a thick syrup
I'm sorry that you didn't like this recipe. 🙁
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?