I’m not sure why, but the thought of making homemade apple dumplings always intimidated me. The delicious, gooey dough and apple just seemed a little out of my reach. But, it’s actually super easy – and amazingly good!
Kitchen Items for this Recipe
Enjoy and happy cooking! 💋
Homemade Apple Dumplings
- 6 apples, peeled and cored
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp apple pie spice
- ½ Cup milk
- ⅔ Cup butter, softened
- 2 Cups dark brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 Cups water
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare 9x13 baking dish with butter, cooking spray, or shortening
- In large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, apple pie spice)
- Cut in the butter (You could use a stand mixer or food processor to make this step easier. You can also use your hands to crumble the butter)
- Mix in milk until dough comes together nicely
- On a very lightly floured surface work the dough together until uniform. Cut into 6 pieces. (For smaller dumplings, cut into 12)
- Roll each piece of dough out and place an apple in the center. Bring dough up around the apple and press dough together at the top. (For smaller dumplings (12), place half of an apple in the center of dough)
- Place dumplings in prepared 9x13 baking dish
- Melt butter in sauce pan, add brown sugar.
- Add in water once brown sugar begins to dissolve
- Mix in cinnamon.
- Just as it begins to boil, remove and pour over dumplings
- Bake dumplings 30 minutes. I like to remove them at least once and use a baster to generously pour syrup back over the dumplings. I also use the baster to pour syrup back over the dumplings just before I serve them.
- Serve alone for a breakfast, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an incredibly delicious desert!
How to make homemade apple dumplings!