Welcome to the Cast Iron Lane One Dish Wednesday Series where I feature casserole, slow cooker, and other one-dish meals.
I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Kitchen Items for this Recipe
Enjoy and happy cooking! 💋
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Casserole
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 Cups yellow onion, chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 ¾ Cups chicken stock
- 1 4 oz can green chiles, drained and diced
- 2 tsps chili powder
- 2 tsps dried basil
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cumin, ground
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 12 corn tortillas
- 4 Cups chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 4 Cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 Cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- sour cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In large saucepan, and over medium heat, heat oil. Mix in onion and garlic. Cook until tender. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Mix in tomato sauce, chiles, chili powder, basil, oregano, cumit, salt, stock, and sugar
- Bring to boil
- Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes
- Prepare a 9x14 baking dish with cooking spray or very thin layer of shortening
- Layer tortillas in bottom of dish, they will overlap
- Place half of the chicken on top of tortillas.
- Pour half the sauce over chicken.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese over chicken
- Place all of the olives over the cheese
- Create another layer each of chicken, sauce and cheese
- Loosely cover tih aluminum foil
- Bake 40 minutes
- Remove foil and bake additional 10 minutes
- Allow to set for 10 minutes before serving
- Dollop sour cream over servings
You may also like our Slow Cooker Sunday Series for more one-dish meals.