Perhaps you’ll think of this as more of a homemade Hamburger Helper, and you would not be wrong. That’s pretty much what Hamburger Helper is – a skillet lasagna of some sort.
I think it’s much tastier than a boxed version – and you can switch this up quite a bit to make it your own. I have never purchased a spaghetti sauce mix. So, I just leave out that ingredient as well as the tomatoes and instead use a chunky spaghetti sauce.
Let me know if you tried this and if you changed it up at all.
Enjoy and Happy baking! 💋
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 envelope spaghetti sauce mix (2 ½ oz)
- 2 C Cottage Cheese (1lb)
- 3 C medium-size noddles, uncooked (egg noodles are great!)
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 ½ C tomatoes (I assume crushed)
- 1 C water
- 1 C shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- Lightly brown ground beef in skillet* over a medium heat
- Sprinkle half spaghetti sauce mix over ground beef
- Spread cotage cheese over a layer of meat
- Lay noodles over top
- Sprinkle remaining spaghetti mix over top, as well as basil, parsley, and salt
- Add tomatoes with their liquid, and water
- Make sure everything (especially noodles) is moistened
- Cover tightly with lid and simmer on medium heat 30 - 35 minutes or until noodles are cooked
- When done, remove from heat or lower heat to low/keep warm. Sprinkle cheese over top. Place lid back on and let stand approximately 15 minutes before serving.
This recipe comes from the Cooking with Friends community recipe book.